Welcome to Five Points South, Birmingham's Premier Culinary District!
Five Points South is one of Birmingham's first streetcar suburbs. The area was settled and incorporated as the Town of Highland in 1887. The Elyton Land Company, established a streetcar line that connected "Highland" with downtown. This company advertised the suburb as cooler, cleaner and healthier site for living than downtown which was lower in elevation and closer to the pig iron furnaces (like Sloss Furnances) and other mills then operating in the valley. In 1893 Highland became part of the City of Birmingham. At the Five Points South Circle where streetcar lines from downtown intersected those from Highland Avenue and other Southside residential areas, a neighborhood shopping district, with grocery, drug, repair and service shops grew.
Five Points is rich with landmark houses, churches, apartment and commercial buildings, among the city's finest and most distinguished architectural and historical resources. Today there has been ongoing changes and developments in Five Points and a return to its position as a popular living, shopping and recreational district, particularly influenced by the advent of superb restuarants. It is fortunate to have a number of great fine dining establishments like Highlands Bar and Grill, Hot and Hot Fish Club, Bottega and Oceans. One of the areas most famous resident was Hugh Martin Jr composer of Meet Me in St. Louis and Wish Me A Merry Christmas. Come explore and discover Five Points, past and present. Information from "The Journal "A Town Within a City" and Historic Five Points South Walking Tour.
For a printable self guided walking tour Click Here.
WHO ARE WE!
- Organization - board of directors
- Restaurant/Bar Promotion - organizes promotions and special events for area restaurants and bars
- Retail Promotion - organizes promotions and special events for area retailers
- Tourism - develops and implements tourism branding campaigns to promote area
- Design - works to create an attractive and appealing environment for visitors and businesses
- Economic Restructuring - develops tools and resources to assists with recruiting and identifying businesses for the area.
- Area Demogrpahic Report
- Five Points South Boundary Map
- Five Points South Available Property Map
- How To Open A Business in the City of Birmingham Guide - contact us!
- Five Points South Commercial Revitalization Program
- Available Property - Kahn Properies
- Available Property - Samford Properties
- Available Property - J H Berry
- Available Property - Barber Property
- Available Property - Watts Realty
- REV Birmingham Financial Incentives
- Main Street Alabama Incentives